I’m super duper, mega excited about the new WordPress 3.0 “Thelonious” release. I love WordPress and the ease in which it can be themed and customized for various clients, needs and purposes. Sometimes I had to do the odd hack here and there but with the new release, I can do even more natively. I’m so excited, I’m going to have a brainslosion!
Just the tip of the iceberg of features that I’m ♥ loving ♥:
- New user registration for installation: Solves the tedious extra step of having to manually edit the default “admin” username for security purposes.
- Custom post types: In previous releases, we only had the ability to designate a content item as either a “post” or “page” and site architecture planning had to work around these limits. For a review blog, now I can set content items to “movies”, “books” and “music” without having to hack with categories and tags.
- Custom taxonomies: In the same vein as the previous point, this ability now allows content to be more extensible, easily and natively. A common example would be to add a custom taxonomy “Rating” and set R, PG-13, PG, G for the reviews.
- Multi-site capability: Personally, this one would make my life super duper easy by allowing me to manage WordPress websites through the development cycle without going through the hassle of setting up each one on its own. I could set up websites either with as “subdomain.domain.com” or “domain.com/subdirectory”. I haven’t worked much with networked websites but I still see the major benefit of this in the future.
- Menu management: Oh yeah! They finally added this feature which allows you to create multiple menus, categories, external and internal links right in the admin user interface. Sweet jebus! I’m in heaven.
- Get Shortlink: Build your own shortened, branded URLs natively to share with your friends in social media.
- New “Twentyten” default theme: Easily set custom header and background images in the admin user interface.
Have a quick look at this WordPress 3.0 video tour to wrap your head around this awesome release.
Now, I just have to test this upgrade and hope it doesn’t break anything. Have a delicious day folks.
Sprinkle hearts and cupcakes!